How To Earn Big Commision?

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Training and Managing Racing Pigeons

There are a lot of different opinions and methods of training to get good results in the races. The most important thing is that your birds are healthy, in good condition, are comfortable with the loft (for motivation), and are of good breeding.
I like to start training early (as I start breeding early), and take it a bit slow at first to make sure the birds are comfortable with the experience and know where they're going, at first. Usually a couple weeks after they've started coming out, I'll release them several times in various places around the yard. Helps them get used to the crate and work on flock formation in flight. Then once they've been loft flying for a decent amount of time and I feel okay with taking them, road training begins. We're surrounded by trees so I have a couple short stops before the technical 5 mile mark. Then I go to 10, and then increase the distance by 10 miles from there on. If I have a bad toss, I'll give them a day off and loft fly, then jump back into training, 10 miles shorter from the bad place. Then keep going.

This is all just my own ways. You'll find out what works for you as you go. I like training down the center of the race course the best I can. Usually that means just releasing off the highways. I also like using major landmarks to my/their advantage by training near/at them. Just keep your birds in shape, and they should do fine. That doesn't mean training them constantly. Just fly them everyday from the loft if not training. Also talk to some club members and get their opinions too. Then you can take pieces from 'him' and other things from 'her', put them together, and make your own training plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment